Mesothelioma and Asbestos Lawyers
A mesothelioma lawyer specializes in asbestos compensation through litigation, settlements and asbestos lawsuits. The best lawyers for mesothelioma are knowledgeable, understanding and resourceful in all aspects of asbestos law.
Why Hire an Experienced Mesothelioma Attorney?
Mesothelioma lawsuits are complex and time sensitive. A mesothelioma lawyer with a history of successful asbestos litigation makes the process simple and hassle free, giving you more time to focus on what matters most: Your health and family.
How to Hire a Qualified Mesothelioma Lawyer
The first step in hiring an experienced lawyer for your mesothelioma case is looking at the law firm’s credentials. A firm that specializes in asbestos litigation will have attorneys who know the intricacies of filing a mesothelioma lawsuit or asbestos trust fund claim.
Qualities of a Great Mesothelioma Attorney
- Expertise with Asbestos Litigation: A good mesothelioma lawyer is familiar with the state and federal laws specific to these cases.
- Understanding: They take time to listen and understand your situation to advise you on the best solution.
- Accessibility: A great mesothelioma lawyer will travel across the country to meet with you and respond to your inquiries.
- Resourcefulness: Mesothelioma lawyers have the materials and resources to build a solid case.
- Respect: A top mesothelioma lawyer is recognized as an industry leader by their peers and clients.
Need Legal Information About Mesothelioma?
Get your free legal mesothelioma guide and learn about your rights.
Does Location Matter When Choosing a Lawyer?
Most established mesothelioma law firms serve clients nationwide, no matter where they live. Many lawyers will travel to advise you in your home, so you can stay comfortable.
Don’t feel discouraged from filing a lawsuit if you live in a remote area — you have the same legal rights as anyone else.
Can I Afford a Mesothelioma Attorney?
In asbestos lawsuits, attorneys typically work on a contingency-fee basis. This usually means you pay nothing until you receive compensation and nothing at all if your case is not successful.
Contingency fees protect you because they usually are based on a percentage of any compensation you receive. Be sure to discuss this percentage with your mesothelioma lawyers during your first meeting.
What Expenses Can Be Covered by Legal Compensation?
A trustworthy mesothelioma attorney will never guarantee a settlement or a successful jury verdict. However, finding a mesothelioma lawyer who can offer a high probability of success will make it easier to obtain compensation.
Common Expenses for Mesothelioma Patients
- Treatment costs
- Lost wages
- Caregiver costs
- Travel expenses
- Therapy and grief support
- Funeral expenses
Punitive Damages in Mesothelioma Lawsuits
In addition to compensation to cover expenses (compensatory damages), mesothelioma trial verdicts may include punitive damages. These aim to punish the defendant and compensate the plaintiff for their pain and suffering.
For example, a New Jersey state court jury in 2018 awarded $80 million in punitive damages to a man who said he developed mesothelioma after using asbestos-contaminated talcum powder sold by Johnson & Johnson. Total damages for the case was $117 million.
What Claims Do Asbestos Lawyers Handle?
A qualified asbestos lawyer will help you decide the best way to pursue compensation, whether it’s through a mesothelioma lawsuit, trust-fund filing, VA claim or a combination of these.
There are two types of asbestos lawsuits: Personal injury claims and wrongful death claims.
- Personal Injury Claim: A person diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease files a lawsuit against one or more companies that may be responsible for their illness.
- Wrongful Death Claim: The estate of a person who died from the asbestos-related disease files a wrongful death lawsuit.
The vast majority of mesothelioma lawsuits never go to trial. Although a jury verdict may result in a larger reward, mesothelioma settlements are guaranteed compensation and typically a quicker resolution to a case.
Asbestos Bankruptcy Trusts
Bankrupt companies that produced asbestos-containing products have set aside billions to compensate people diagnosed with asbestos-related diseases. Qualified mesothelioma lawyers are well versed in the asbestos trust fund claims process.
VA Benefits and Legal Claims for Veterans
Some of the top mesothelioma law firms have on-staff military veterans who help other veterans receive compensation for asbestos-related illnesses through VA claims and legal claims.
These firms have resources, such as a database of Navy ships that used the toxic mineral, that help veterans identify when and where they were exposed to asbestos in the military.
Find An Attorney
Get help finding an attorney who knows the process and can get you and your family the compensation you deserve.
Mesothelioma lawsuits have helped thousands of people receive compensation from companies that negligently exposed them to asbestos.
- $117 Million Awarded to Retired Banker
- Retired banker Stephen Lanzo III and his wife won $117 million in 2018 against consumer goods giant Johnson & Johnson and talc supplier Imerys Talc America. Lanzo claimed he developed mesothelioma after using asbestos-contaminated talcum powder products from 1979 to 2003.
- $75 Million Awarded to Wife of Race Car Driver
- In 2017, the wife of a race car driver won a mesothelioma lawsuit in New York against a group of auto-part manufacturers. For years, she had swept the garage where her husband worked with asbestos-containing gaskets, which carried no warnings about health risks from asbestos exposure.
- $22 Million Awarded to Paint Maker
- A California jury in 2017 awarded $22 million to the estate of a man exposed to asbestos-contaminated talc used in paint manufacturing. The award included $17.57 million for malice on the part of Vanderbilt Minerals and Imerys Talc America, along with $4.6 million in punitive damages.
- $18.6 Million Awarded to Family of Tire Factory Worker
- In 2014, a Dallas County jury awarded $18.6 million to the family of a tire builder who died of mesothelioma. The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. employee was repeatedly exposed to asbestos over 30 years while working with Goodyear tire machines at a plant in Tyler, Texas.
Mesothelioma Legal Information by State
Laws, procedures and rules relating to asbestos claims vary from state to state. Some state courts are considered more lenient to businesses, while other courts tend to be more sympathetic to people harmed by asbestos exposure.
Experienced mesothelioma attorneys understand the differences between jurisdictions, including the filing deadline for each state.